Why Take Self-Portraits of Your Feet?

And if this makes you want to dabble in self-portrait fun, ponder joining me for one the upcoming self-portrait online class: Be Your Own Beloved!

compassion600

19 comments
Add a comment...

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

• Amanda @ Click. The Good NewsJanuary 23, 2013 - 6:33 am

My first thought when I saw this was, SHOES! you have some adorable ones. Great reminder about seeing beautiful everywhere 🙂ReplyCancel

• roxanneJanuary 23, 2013 - 11:50 am

Cute shoes. And all those reasons are excellent reasons!ReplyCancel

• Michelle @ Find Your BalanceJanuary 23, 2013 - 1:49 pm

SO many feet photos on Instagram. I always figure, feet are such willing and available subjects. Loved this visually gorgeous post!ReplyCancel

• urban muserJanuary 23, 2013 - 3:45 pm

awesome post vivienne! i love to take photos of my feet because it tells me where i’m going and where i’ve been 🙂ReplyCancel

• Kate DJanuary 26, 2013 - 7:41 am

Because….it’s just plain cool! Because….it’s fun! Because…why not?! Feet are fab. 🙂ReplyCancel

• BarbaraJanuary 26, 2013 - 9:03 am

I loved finding this page! I have been taking photos of my feet for a while now, and thought I was weird! I know I do it because I haven’t worked up the nerve to take an actual self-portrait, and that has a lot to do with (lack of) self-love. So this post helped me see a more positive way of looking at my feet self-portraits. 🙂 Thanks, Vivienne!ReplyCancel

• KimJanuary 31, 2013 - 7:04 am

This is awesome. You have inspired me and for that I thank you. I do not like to take pictures of myself and especially not of my feet. Your perspective has given me a new outlook. I am excited to be joining you with Be Your Own Beloved. I am hoping I will learn to love taking self portraits as much as you do.
    ~KimReplyCancel

• […] even better. And upon rereading Vivienne McMaster’s response to the glaring question – Why take self portraits of your feet? – I liked them even […]ReplyCancel

• The Lucky….31 | Quite BookishApril 25, 2014 - 6:30 am

[…] Why take pictures of your feet? […]ReplyCancel

• […] participating in the kinds of activities I’m asking participants in my classes to do (plus, foot photos rock).  I suppose in their mind this person wanted me to do more photographically complex […]ReplyCancel

• CharisNovember 9, 2014 - 11:57 am

I LOVE taking photos of my feet! My dad totally & utterly doesn’t get it and is always asking why… now I have ten reasons to use up on him, we’ll see if he is still asking after, ha ha!ReplyCancel

• PhilNovember 9, 2014 - 12:18 pm

You’re right I still don’t get it and never will. I just can’t see the point of taking pictures of your plates!ReplyCancel

• Lelainia LloydFebruary 2, 2015 - 8:23 am

I agree that it’s a subtle way of documenting where you’ve been. It’s a “you are here” photo. I also think it’s a meditative thing, acknowledging the NOW of the moment. When I shoot my feet, I don’t have to worry about my hair or the glare off my glasses or making silly faces or being photo bombed. It’s more relaxed and it’s often shot fast and dirty.ReplyCancel

• […] and taking photos as I walk helps me feel engaged with the world around me,” writes photographer Vivienne McMaster about her passion for documenting her […]ReplyCancel

• […] transportation and taking photos as I walk helps me feel engaged with the world around me,” writes photographer Vivienne McMaster about her passion for documenting her […]ReplyCancel

• Igor PatziJanuary 23, 2016 - 4:29 am

I think the feet, as the face and the hands, are particullary expressive, and the way you capture your own feet is in extreme important …ReplyCancel

• […] she put it, “My feet are my transportation and taking photos as I walk helps me feel engaged with the […]ReplyCancel

• […] a link to the fabulous Vivienne McMaster and her “why foot selfies” article – self care, photography and art all enrichen each other so […]ReplyCancel

Menu