Each time we look at a photo of ourselves, a story emerges. Sometimes it may be one that makes you smile and then at other times we may have a long standing story that holds us back from seeing ourselves with love and kindness. Whenever we may look at photos of ourselves, we see that story and are not able to see the beauty that we are, right here, right now.
I believe (and know from experience) that self-portraiture can be an incredible tool to help us change this story. To quiet down and let go of that story and rebuild it with a new relationship to our self-image.
This course invites you to make a practise of taking self-portraits during our time together. It isn’t a technical or a ‘how-to’ kind of course (but the original YAYOM is, so join us there if that is what you are looking for). This course invites you to simply create a new habit of looking at yourself with kindness and to write a new story of how you see yourself.
Who is it for:
- Those who believe they are not photogenic but are ready and eager to re-write that story
- Folks of any level of photography or skill level. All you need is a camera and an openness to the experience. This is not at all a technical class.
- An openness to taking self-portraits. You don’t need experience in doing this at all, just an eagerness to rewriting the story about your relationship to self-image in photos.
- A commitment to turn the camera on yourself throughout the month.
What is Rewriting the Story?
- It is a four week self-portrait class. It differs from the original You are Your Own Muse as it isn’t a technical or even a how-to-take-self-portraits class (definitely take YAYOM if that is what you are looking for) but instead it hones in on our relationship to our self-image and uses self-portraiture as a tool to rewrite, redefine and rebuild that story.
- During the month of the course, your challenge is to document the process by taking a self-portrait each day during the course. It could be of your feet, your hands, your whole body.
What is involved:
- Each week you will be able to log into the classroom and Monday through Thursday there will be a post awaiting you. These posts will include insight and inspiration from me, videos and inspiration from folks who know about rewriting our stories. The post will take only a few minutes to read and will invite you to take another moment during the day to pause and take a self-portrait.
- There is also a class flickr group where we will share images and connect with each other.
- You receive a PDF of the entire course content.
My approach to self-portraiture is inherently related to my approach to self-love. Everyone is deserving of making the space for both things and that self-portraiture can be a tool to cultivate a clearer relationship to your self identity and self-image. The perception that taking a self-portrait as being something that is vain masks the powerful depth of storytelling that self-portraiture involves including rewriting the story of our relationship to self-image.
I infuse this course (and the more in-depth self-portrait courses) with a strong belief that you are of strong worth and value just as you are. I gently infuse this course with a feminist, body positive approach. It is about making peace with who you are right here and now and celebrating that all bodies are beautiful.
How do I sign up:
The next session will run in 2013. I hope you’ll join me then for this course! New dates to come soon!
Do you give feedback on my images?
You bet I do. With the work that we are doing, I want to be your cheerleader in the process. In the in-depth self-portrait classes I teach (this one, Wading In and the original YAYOM) I honour your bravery in sharing your photos by commenting on every image you post. I tend to take a cheerleading, supportive feedback approach but am happy to give constructive criticism to those who are looking for it.